Thursday, April 06, 2006

Spring Break

Liz Straus got me dreaming of Florida with her imaginary vacation posts. So when spring break hit, we packed up the car and headed south! We rented a boat and took her out on the Gulf to Anclote Island. Anclote is an uninhabited island on the nature coast of Florida, filled with whispering pine trees, sandy shores, and eagle nests.


I taught my son how to drive the boat, read channel markers, navigate the ocean, and use the fish finder. Ya-all should have seen him! Cap'n Zac. My little man on the Sea!

We had big fun quoting lines from the movie "Jaws."

"Quint, Shut Down the Engine! She Can't Take any More!"
"We're Gonna need a Bigger Boat!."
""It's a twenty Footer."
"Twenty-Five..."
"I used to be afraid of the water."
"Funny, I can't Imagine Why."

and singing...

"Show me the way to go home
Im tired and I want to go to bed
I had a lil drink about an hour ago
and it got right to my head
whereever I may roam
by land or sea of foam
you can always find me singin this song
show me the way to go home..."




The sea breeze cleansed our spirits, and the lapping rhythm of the waves had the effect of a mother patting her babies gently on the back.






We also spent a day at my FAVORITE place in the whole wide world...Weeki-Wachee Springs.


Now that we are back, I have a million things to do, but it's comforting to know that our footprints might still be in the sand.

No comments: