Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Blogging communities

Blogging is about community. We set up our sites, connect to other sites, read each others posts, make comments, and make friends. We learn from each other. We experience the world through a wider lens. We are inspired by those amazing little insights we happen upon, and hope to inspire others in return.

We make each other laugh, and empathise with the struggles of people we have never even met.

But blogging is sometimes frustrating. When we write and hit the publish button, we are making a formal request to be heard.

Hello?

Anybody out there?

Usually not.

Then comes the negative self talk. Nobody cares. Maybe my ideas are not valid. Maybe i don't have anything worthy to add to the conversation. Or a Stewart Smally of SNL might put it:

"I'm not good enough, I'm not smart enough, and nobody likes me."

Sometimes we go to blogs that get ten thousand comments for a post that consists of nothing but drivel. We look at an essay we wrote, or one of our on line friends wrote that clearly has heart and style and relevance, but garners nothing but a big fat goose egg on the stats page.

Hey if nobody is reading, whats the point?

Do you ever feel this way when you blog? If so, what makes you keep typing?

I have my reasons, which might be different than yours, but it is a subject I am exploring, and would like to learn more about. Ultimately, I believe this new world of Social Networking has the power to change the world, and I want to be a part of that. I believe when we empower individuals to speak their truth, and connect to one another, we all have the opportunity to grow as individuals, and improve our lives and the lives of those around us.

I see bloggers out there making a difference in the world of politics, by keeping the professional players honest, and by uniting large groups to pressure the establishment to do a better job.

I see artists and writers inspiring each other through their creative works.

I see self help groups banding together to help people work through their problems.

and beyond that, I feel so privileged to have had the chance to meet people out there who use their blogs to shine their own little lights, and just make my day a little brighter by sharing their souls with the world.

If you are out there, and I have seen your posts, Thank you. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have smiled, or laughed, or had pause for thought because of the things you have shared.

Collectively, you have all made a difference. You have all inspired. You are all a part of this journey. And i for one, am better for it.

I thank you, one and all.

Kelley Bell

6 comments:

Ellie Van Houtte said...

Hi Kelley.

I WILL be following you (as a way to keep my own blog going). I think that your words are read and heard by many, and that you've already brought inspiration and enlightenment to many----including me.

Rebecca Anne said...

I've gone around in circles about why I blog, why I should keep at it, the why why why.....and usually settle right back on, it's nice to get thoughts out of my mind and it's nice to interact with people I would never have met any other way.
I can't explain why some people are so popular..the drivel..50+ comments, a zillion followers, and why some of the journals I come across that write with such soul and meaning barely get a few visitors.
I'm not even sure where I fall in the scheme of things. But above all, I try to maintain my own journal, and do my best to go around and visit others, which I'm not great at finding the time to do.
Just keep writing and community happens~
Rebecca

Gabriele Caruso said...

VERY GOOD. I do sometimes wonder why I try. I have never written my thoughts out before.
I do check your blog though almost evertime I am on the computer or working on my blog.
I always find something inspiring in your blog. Thank you

Kel-Bell said...

Awe shucks you guys. Im blushing.

-and feeling like I need to commit more time to reading and commenting on all of your blogs. You gals write some wonderful stuff you know. I am inspired by each and every one of you.

Thanks.

Gabriele Caruso said...

Check again Kelli Bell.
I am not a "GAL" :-)
I so have a very developed Feminine side though
Have a great day.

Sildenafil said...

It is a great thing to have a blog, one can get to know an d interact with other people.