Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Seeds of Change

Last night I attended a banquet commemorating the anniversary of Roe v. Wade.
Good food, good friends, good speakers.

At one point, I had a chance to chit-chat with executive director of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of Ohio,Gary Dougherty, and asked how I could get more involved.

"Don't under estimate what you did with Meijer. Because of you, all of the pharmacists and technicians in 27 stores will be educated about Meijer's policy on this issue. Those people will do some research on their own and talk to their friends about it. In addition, you should think about that couple that went to Walmart and got laughed at by the pharmacist when they requested Plan B. Because of you, that won't happen at Meijer."

He then told me a story of an experience he had as a lobbyist for Planned Parenthood. "I had a meeting with a freshman Ohio Representative. My goal was to introduce Planned Parenthood and explain our position on the issues. For most of the meeting, her eyes were glazed over and I could tell I was not saying anything to connect to this woman. Then I told her about Plan B refusals. Her eyes opened wide and she said "You mean to tell me that I could take a prescription to the pharmacy and BE REFUSED?!"

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you."

"After that, we were able to communicate and work together to push for sensible legislation. Those are the moments that make this work so rewarding."


------------------------------

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.

-Robert Louis Stevenson

___________________________________

On a side note: I apologise to my readers for the mountain of political posts. I try very hard to keep my subject matter in balance. It's just that lately, there has been a lot of political material to cover.

Keep an eye out for a fun family snow sculpture post in the near future. The munchkins and I are about half way through with this years masterpiece!

No comments: