Sunday, December 18, 2005

Hypnoshop

I dropped my daughter at a party and decided to run into Kohl's and do a little holiday shopping. I'm not a big fan of shopping, because I don't like the crowds and I usually can't find what I'm looking for. This trip was no exception.

Around six, me hubbie rings up my cell phone wondering where I was.

"Just doing a bit of shopping. Im heading for the checkout line right now. I'll be home soon."

The checkout line looked like Advance sales for a Beatles Reunion Concert. Ugggh.

When my turn finally came the clerk said "Did you find everything today?"

"Almost. I was looking for a little cream mock neck to go with this sweater, but you were out of my size."

"They are having a sale next door at Marshall's. I think they have some left over there." Offered the jingling girl in the fashionalbe elf hat.

So, I thought, I'll just run in real quick and see.

Lo and behold, they had all sorts of things that I liked! It was a motherlode moment of fashion gem mining. I got so caught up in the muzacal Christmas carols piping through the store speakers, and all those little red tags reading: Was 500.00 Now, 20.00, that I lost my head. I was under the hypnotic spell of the Great Abominable Snow Retailer, wandering the labyrinth like a zombie on prozac.

My cell phone rang and jarred me back to reality. "Honey, are you all right? We were worried sick. You said you were coming home over and hour ago."

"Oh, I'm SORRY Baby, I just lost track of time. Im heading for the checkout line right now..."

2 comments:

B.S. said...

I'm just trying to get over the fact that Kohl's sent you to Marshall's! Is that some new type of marketing technique which defies all reason? Like you, I can't stand shopping either and resent the holiday hypnosis. Thanks for the entertaining post with a point!

DTclarinet said...

I chuckled at the sharp and appropriate sarcasm! zombie on prozac. Indeed!!

Thank you for the e card, Kelly. Very thoughtful and sweet.

Merry Xmas, hope it's quiet!

Garnet