Monday, December 12, 2005

Maiden, Mother, Crone


We all aspire for long life, spending billions of dollars on healthcare to increase our lifespan.

Yet,

We do not value old age. We fear it. We fight it. We shun it.

For women, there are three symbolic stages of life:
Maiden, Mother, Crone.

The maiden stage is innocence, youth, physical beauty, and mating.
The Mother stage is about nurturing your inner circle (self, spouse, family, friends and home)
The Crone stage is about offering your accumulated gifts, talents and wisdom to the community.

It seems to me that the Crone is the stage of life we should aspire too.
being "sexy" is just so shallow and temporary in comparison.

Women are always lamenting that men don't love us for our minds...Well, maybe they would if we put on a little less makeup, and honored our Grandmothers as the sage leaders and healers that they are.

Keep your creams and facelifts: I am proud to have a few crows feet highlighting my eyes when I smile.

1 comment:

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

I'm right with you. I think the older I get the better I feel about myself.